Travel - AARP
A couple of weeks ago, my daughter Sarah and I needed to brave an early morning snow storm in order to catch a flight to San Juan, Puerto Rico. It was touch and go as we moved at a snail’s pace behind two huge plows that plodded along through the almost white-out conditions. And it became even more frightening when the driver of a huge truck to the left of us started exhibiting extreme road rage because he couldn’t travel any faster.
But we made it! And when we finally arrived in the capital of this beautiful Caribbean island, we were rewarded with the warmth and sunshine that we had worked so hard to experience.
Our great vacation was due in large part to our lovely accommodations, the San Juan Marriott Resort and Casino. Right on the Atlantic Ocean, and conveniently close to so many restaurants and shops, this Marriott was a great place to stay for boomers like me who are happy to travel alone or with companions.
So what’s in store for what is starting out to be another good year for boomer travel? AARP has provided some statistics through an interesting infographic:
AARP found that travel was the number one aspirational activity for people 50+ and here is what this organization says were the highlights of their survey:
Will the 50+Travel more in 2015 than 2014?
- 48% of the 50+ say, “Yes!” They plan to travel more next year than this year.
- 51% say they will save more of their money specifically for travel.
Domestic Versus International Travel
- 97% will take at least one Domestic trip in 2015.
- 47% say they plan for more domestic travel in 2015 than 2014.
- 45% plan to take at least one international trip.
- 23% say they plan more international trips in 2015 than 2014.
- Extended Family Trips: 33% of travelers 50+ will take at least one multigenerational trip. This trend is expected to increase for Generation X’ers who will begin to join the 50+ next year.
- Summer Vacations: 54% will take a summer vacation either domestically or abroad with 35% headed to the beach.
- Weekend Getaways: 26% will plan weekend getaways for a quick break or family event with the fall or spring being popular times for those trips.
- Romantic Travel: Love is in the air with 28% planning romantic travel either domestically or internationally.
- Solo Travel represents 28% of planned 2015 trips and could prove to be the ultimate in freedom and rejuvenation when travelers 50+ are in total control of their trips.
- Staycation: Four in ten boomers took a staycation this year and anticipate taking one again in 2015. Many find great opportunities to enjoy time in their own backyards.
Bucket List will be the Biggest Motivator for International 50+ Travel
People 50+ plan to fulfill their travel dreams and are actively planning for trips on their personal bucket lists. AARP predicts that 32 percent of people 50+ that will travel internationally in 2015 will do so to check off a destination on their bucket list. Destinations include Paris, Italy, London, Caribbean Islands and other international spots.
You might also like
BIRUGEAR Stereo Hands Free Headset Earphone W/ Microphone - Black for AARP RealPad 7.85' Tablet
Evecase Large DSLR Camera/Laptop Travel Backpack Gadget Bag w/ Rain Cover for Nikon SLR Series Digital Cameras- Black/Green
Portable Deluxe Pill Dispenser - 4 dose compartments per day x 7 day week = 28 total compartments
Health and Beauty (OTC)
EZOPower White 6ft Micro-USB 2in1 Sync and Charge USB Data Cable + White USB Travel Charger Adapter for Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge/ S6/ S5/ S4, Galaxy Mega 2, Galaxy Note Edge/ Note 4 3
iKross 3.5mm Stereo Earbuds with Microphone + Green Headset Case for Acer Aspire Switch 11 10, ICONIA TAB 10/ Tab 8/ ONE 7/ TAB 7/ B1-720/ A1-830/ A3-A10, Aspire P3 Ultrabook